The CSE department, MVJ College of Engineering, organized a Workshop on Open Source Tool and Projects on 17th November, 2018.
This Workshop aimed at encouraging the students to conduct a fairly full demonstration on projects and providing them the platform to train on how to create a project from scratch. This Workshop gave insight into different software development life-cycles used in real time software projects, and different types of metrics used to measure a project. The Workshop took place at CSE classroom 251, in the presence of Dr. Shyam.P.Joy – Associate Professor, Mrs. Manju Khanna – Associate Professor and Ms. Sivagama Sundari – Associate Professor.
The event began at 09:00 a.m. with inaugural address by Ms. Aswini.C, AP, CSE. 40 students attended the Workshop. The session was handled by Mr. Dheeraj Khanna, Director – Capgemini. He started the session with an introduction about different types of software companies, their pros and cons, stability of the companies, the salaries of the employees, the job opportunities available in the companies and their product verticals and horizontals. Then he moved on to Software Development life-cycle, how to create an application based on software development life-cycle, and different metrics used to test the software. He also gave a brief idea on software maintenance cycle and delivery. Besides this, he also demonstrated about forecasting project cost, timeline, resource allocation, communication, and Risk and Change management in projects. The event ended around 1.00 p.m. with felicitation and vote of thanks by Dr. Shyam P Joy, Associate Professor, CSE.
Outcome of the Workshop
The Workshop demonstrated and gave an insight into the key areas of project management and helped to enhance the competencies of the participants, in the following areas:
- Manage the selection and initiation of individual projects and portfolios of projects, in the enterprise as well as academics.
- Conduct project planning activities that accurately forecast project costs, timeline and quality. Implement processes for successful resource, communication, and risk and change management.
- Demonstrate effective project execution and control techniques, that will result in successful projects.
- Regulate project closure activities, and obtain formal project acceptance.
- Demonstrate a strong working knowledge of ethics and professional responsibility.
- Demonstrate effective organizational leadership and change skills for managing projects, project teams, and other