Roller coasters are thrill rides that operate like a railroad track. The history of this ride reflects a constant search for greater and more death-defying thrills. They are made from steel or wood, and comprise a series of hills and drops, sudden turns, track loops and corkscrew-like elements. Roller coasters don’t have engines; they must be pulled by a motorized chain to the top of the first big hill. As the roller coaster rises higher, its potential energy increases and reaches maximum at the crest of hill. The potential energy accumulated by the rise in height is transferred to kinetic energy, as the cars race down the first downward slope. Teams shall design and build a ‘roller coaster’, meeting the requirements specified in these rules. The ‘roller coaster’ shall mean the entire structure, including the roller coaster track and the base, but not the actual vehicle. The ‘COASTER’ shall mean the vehicle that travels on the Roller Coaster track.
Teams are required to build a marble roller coaster track, using basic hardware materials like plastic tubes, rubber tubes (transparent) and paper. It is recommended to design your roller coaster around a theme like a jungle, an ocean and so on, as this adds up to the excitement factor! The event will be on the spot and you are required to finish it within the given time frame.
MATERIALS PROVIDED BY VERTECHX TEAM
Ply board (2m*1.5m), Tape, Fevicol and Scissors.
Note: Students have to bring their own track and any other material required for making the roller coaster. (The organizers will not provide any other material apart from those specified above)
ROLLER COASTER MODEL RULES
- Size restriction – the height should not be more than 2m.
- The model should be designed for a regular size, steel or glass marble.
- The starting position at the top of the first hill should be clearly marked.
- You will have to measure the total track length and mention it somewhere on the track.
- Your team may use more than one marble.
- The use of electricity during the competition is prohibited.
- Magnets are permitted without restrictions. However, electromagnets are prohibited.
- Only gravity and magnetism may be used to propel the ‘COASTER’.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Event is open to all.
- Maximum team size is 5 members.
- Participants can form teams from different branches / colleges.
- No two teams can have a common member.
- Teams are not allowed to touch their model, once the ride begins.
- The time limit for completion is 180 minutes.
- The decision of the judges shall be final.
Any coaster that violates the rules above or the spirit of the competition, will be disqualified
- 1st Prize – Rs.5000/-
- 2nd Prize – Rs.3000/-
- 3rd Prize – Rs.2000/-
|Surabhi B S||9900358850|
|Varsha S Gangadkar||8762857093|