The Research & Development (R & D) Cell of MVJCE facilitates and encourages research culture among the faculty and students. Its prime role is to create contacts with the real world and promote research through a range of publications. It enables a congenial environment for technological development and monitors the research activities of the college.The R&D Cell takes upon the responsibility of creating a work place to attract the best talent and strives continuously in pooling of skills and internal resources, creating strategy, overcoming limitations, and makes the College proud to be amongst the best institutions around the Globe. The R&D Cell aims to reach the Vision and Mission of the college and is functioning under the Chairmanship of Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao since April 2017. Under his able-guidance and advice, the college is able to submit research proposals for grants of in excess of two crores of rupees to different agencies like DST, DRDO, MNRE, AICTE, VTU, VGST, K-BITS, KSCST etc. in the last year. The publication statistics and citations are creditworthy. Obtaining patents is its one of the priority.
He served the organization in various capacities and rose to become the Director of the Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) in April 2006, Chief Controller Research & Development (CCR&D) in April 2011 and Director General (Naval Systems & Materials) in September 2013. In his long and distinguished career as a scientist, he has contributed immensely to Defence R&D, Particularly on Warship Technologies, Naval Stealth Technologies and Technology Management. Dr. Bhujanga Rao was responsible for establishing many facilities such as Acoustic, Shock & Vibration Test facilities, Instrumented Radar Cross Section Measurement complex and Underwater Signature Measurement Complex. He is a consultant to various agencies / industries. He is the recipient of a number of prestigious awards and honours. Some of the recent awards include National award for empowerment of persons with disabilities, Doctor of Science–Honoris Causa by NIT–Kurukshetra, Suri Bhagavantham award for Distinguished Service in Acoustics instituted by the Acoustical Society of India etc,. He is a Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, Founder & President of the Condition Monitoring Society of India, Past President & Fellow of Acoustical Society of India and Fellow of many other societies. He is a Member of the Academic Councils of several Universities. He is honorary Professor at Andhra University, Visakhapatnam. GITAM considers it a privilege and a tribute to institute an Endowment Lecture in honour of this great son of India, who has immensely contributed to advancement of research in defense technologies and widespread use of condition monitoring concepts in India.
Functions of R&D Cell
Teachers completed Ph.D during last 5 years
|Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao, born on 10thOctober 1951, is a postgraduate in M.Sc. Physics (Acoustics) from Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati. Later he did his M.S. (Mechanical Engineering) from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalorethen obtained his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, and Ph.D. in Technology Management from Devi Ahilya Viswa Vidyalaya, Indore. In his 38 years of rich professional experience in Defence R&D, he has occupied various prestigious positions.|
- Identification of thrust areas of research in each department
- Advise and encourage the faculty to carry out research in-house and in collaboration with other organizations
- Visit various departments and meet the faculty to encourage and motivate them to undertake research projects and to scrutinize the proposals before submitting to funding agencies
- Identification of physical and human resources to carryout research
- Identify the budgetary requirements and resources for funding the research
- Review the progress of research and offer necessary guidance whenever required
- Monitor and propose the funding from college budget for promotion of research activities
- Identify different organizations/ industries to undertake collaborative research on current topics of mutual interest
- Scrutinize minor and major research project proposals for submission to funding organizations such as UGC, AICTE, DST, DRDO etc.
- Monitor and assess the progress of sponsored research projects.
- Review and monitor academic progress of candidates registered for Ph.D. /M. Tech./M.Sc.
- Advise and arrange Seminars / Conferences / Workshops.
- Promote and encourage interdisciplinary research.
- Establish technology incubation centres/ Research centres/ Centres of excellence.
- Advise the faculty and find the suitability of research results for journal publication/ patenting/ product generation/ solve societal problems.
- Encourage young faculty members to register for Ph. D. in the College or at various reputed academic institutes
- Create a Special Institutional Research Wing over viewing all R&D and academic Ph. D. / PG activities.
- Provide laboratory, library/e-library and internet facilities
- Establish department-wise R&D laboratory
- Provide need based financial support for research activities
- Organize workshops, seminars, conferences at national or international level
- Provide incentives and encourage research related activities like reduction in teaching load, duty leave, TA/DA to the faculty for presenting their research activity at various Conferences/Seminars
- Sanction special leave as and when required for good progress of research
- Provide Personal Laptops on concession basis to carry out personal research
- Give due consideration in promotion and salary advancement on paper publication/ Getting patents etc by laying out standards based on citation indices, impact factors, quality of patents etc.
- Encourage to write and forward research proposals for financial support to different funding agencies and announce incentives once the project is sanctioned
- Electrophoretic deposition of epoxy Nano-composites (DRDO)
- Effect of corrosion on the concrete infrastructure and its durability (VGST)
- Experimental studies on complex swept rotor blades (DRDO-ARDB)
- Investigation of effects and hazards of wind flow on buildings in multiple arrangements using CFD (VTU)
- Application of biotechnology & insect aerodynamics in micro aerial vehicle (CSIR)
- Preparation, characterization and Gas sensing studies of Nano metal oxides (VGST-YSR)
- Nano-Engineered photocatalyst for hydrogen production from water (VGST)
- Design of a Compressor Module for a Small Gas Turbine Engine (DRDO)
- Many students’projects were being sponsored by external agencies. Since its inception the Cell has been encouraging all researchers on campus and its efforts are reflected by statistics of the recent activities in the following table.
|Grant Received/ Approved||~ 99.5 Lakhs (INR)|
|New Projects (Applied -9)||~ 139 Lakhs (INR)|
|Total Value of Funded Reseach (Applied-2017)||~ 234 Lakhs|
|Project Proposals (in pipe line)||13|
|Journal Papers in 2017 (Published)||87|
|Journal Papers (in pipeline)||43|
|Number of Research Centres (VTU recognized)||8|
|Number of Faculty pursuing Ph.D.||71|
|1||Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao||Advisor|
|3||Dr. P Giridhara reddy||Dean||ME|
|4||Mrs. Brindha M.||Vice Principal||ECE|
|5||Mrs. Sheher Banu||Coordinator||ECE|
|7||Mr. Srinivasan D.||Member||AE|
|8||Mrs. Deepa Acharya||Member||CSE|
|9||Mr. Vetrivel N.||Member||Civil|
|11||Mrs Shima Ramesh||Member||ECE|
|12||Mr Naeem Ahamed||Member||ECE|
|13||Dr. Abraham George||Member||EEE|
|14||Dr Bhagawan Sreeram||Member||EEE|
|15||Ms. Mabel Christina||Member||ISE|
|16||Mr. Shankar G.||Member||ME|
|17||Dr. Ramachandran A.||Member||Chemistry|
|18||Dr. Saradha M.||Member||Maths|