The Civil DepartmentThe course encompasses several sub disciplines including Environmental engineering, Geotechnical engineering, Structural engineering and Highway engineering. Students build strong foundation in basic science and engineering subjects before being introduced to their core areas such as construction technology, basics of surveying and material testing lab, fluid mechanics and applied engineering geology, environmental engineering and advanced CAD. They study structural analysis, planning and designing structures- including steel and pre stressed concrete structures. In the labs they learn testing of soil strength. This gives them a solid footing in the science of construction. Throughout the span of the course, students build on their understanding of Civil engineering concepts through case studies, hands on projects and industry visits and stay abreast of new advances in the field. The course mandates compulsory internship work in the final year with private or public sector organizations. Civil Department offers two post graduate programmes: Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering. Mechanical Engineering Department is a recognized Research Centre for doing Ph. D. under Visvesavarya Technological University (VTU). Civil Department take up consultancy on Concrete testing and water analysis, Soil analysis, Cement testing, concrete cube testing, fine aggregate testing, steel testing, Design mix, etc., In order to exploit energetic students who continually explore and experiment with design pedagogies, values and innovative practices “ Srishti” club was started in Civil Engineering Department. As part of club activity events like quizzes, model making, debate, poster presentation etc are organized.Department is associated with professional body,Indian Concrete Institute (ICI).
- Optimal Environment for Lifelong Learning: To create Civil engineers by creating and maintaining an optimal teaching and learning environment in which faculty grow professionally and students receive unsurpassed knowledge skills, insights and the tools for lifelong learning in their respective disciplines.
- Enhancing Classroom Approaches:To provide ample classroom teaching and practical sessions and enable the students to learn technology effectively.
- Periodic Interactions with Industry:To expose the students to latest technology and industrial practices through industrial interactions.
- Value Based Education: To make socially responsible professionals through value based education.
Our VisionTo prepare skilled professionals in Civil engineering technology, who move towards making a more sustainable and socially responsible future.
- The Department of Civil Engineering is recognised by VTU as a Research Centre and offers opportunities for PhD research.
- The Department offers postgraduate specializations in Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering.
- The Department is actively engaged in activities such as testing and industrial consultancy, structural design, project management, Building Material testing (Cement, Steel, Sand, Soil, Bricks, Aggregates, Water) and third-party inspections such as with the Panchayat Raj Engineering Division, Bangalore.
- The department possesses its own, independent computational centre for Research & Development, teaching, training, and consultancy.
- The faculty boast of extensive publications and have obtained industrial funding for several R&D projects – Geopolymer as next generation soil, Pellitization Technique for manufacture of Flysch Aggregates Abrasion Characteristics of Railway Ballast, Concrete canoe, to name a few.
- The Department of Civil Engineering has consistently achieved excellent academic results in the University Examinations:
- 2011 – 2012: 1 Rank (UG)
- 2012 – 2013: 2 Rank (UG)
- 2013 – 2014: 1 Rank(PG)
- 2014 – 2015: 1 Rank(UG)
- 2015 – 2016: 2 Rank(PG)
- Some independent research projectsdone by students:
- Light Weight Concrete
- Weigh in Motion and Automatic Signal System
- Study on Light Weight Geopolymer Aggregates
- Approved by AICTE
- Affiliated to VTU
- VTU Approved Research Centre
- PEO1: Professional development: They will be successful professional working in government or Private organizations as Civil Engineers.
- PEO2: Lifelong learning: Graduates will innovate and follow sustainable practices in Civil Engineering.
- PEO3: Higher Education: Graduates will pursue higher education that is adaptive to changing needs of profession in community.
- PSO1: Analyze, design and implement structural, geotechnical, transportation, water supply and environmental engineering system.
- PSO2: Apply advanced technology and modern computational methods to Civil Engineering.
Mr. R MURALIDHARA holds a degree in Civil Engineering, from Mysore University (Malnad College of Engineering, Hassan). He joined M V J College of Engineering in 1988, as a Lecturer. He was deputed for higher studies in M E (Soil Mechanics and Foundation and Mechanics Engineering), at Anna University, Chennai, in 1990. He rejoined MVJCE in 1992, after completing his post-graduation, meritoriously. He soon rose up to become Associate Professor. In addition to teaching, he is also responsible for a wide range of Administration and Consultancy work. He is pursuing Ph. D at Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. He has published Research Papers at many national and international conferences, and in reputed Journals.
- Structural Engineering Lab Structures lab is used to conduct several tests to determine the compressive strength, flexural strength, determination of modulus of elasticity and modulus of rupture by using loading frames.
- Applied Engineering Geology Identification of Various Rocks and Minerals and studying properties of different types of rocks like Granite, Baselt etc.
- CAD Lab Programming of Elementary Structural Design by using C language, Drawing of Building Plans and Building elements by using Auto CADD.
- Concrete & Highway Lab Determination of properties of Building Materials like Cement, Sand, Coarse Aggregate, Bitumen and Soil by conducting Specific Gravity, Water absorption, Hardness, Abrasion, Soundness etc.
- Environmental Engineering Lab Investigation of Quality of Water – Determination of pH, Acidity, Alkalinity, Solids, Chlorides, Hardness, Chlorine demand and Turbidity of Water. Investigation of Quality of Sewage Water like BOD, COD.
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab Investigation of Soil properties like determining Specific Gravity, Density, Water absorption, permeability, Compaction and Consolidation.
- Survey Lab Transferring of Bench mark and determination of altitudes, azimuths by using Total station and other conventional instruments like Dumpy levels and Theodilites.
- Basic Material Testing Lab Determination of basic properties of building materials like bricks, sand, steel and flooring and roofing tiles.
- Fluid Mechanics Lab Determination of Reynolds number, flow through packed bit, flow through channels, flow through notches, flow through pipes and performance of reciprocating and centrifugal pumps.
Guest Lecture on Challenges in underground metro railway construction
50TH ENGINEER’S DAY CELEBRATION - 2018
Recent Trends in Construction Safety and Alternate Building Materials
Industrial Visit to the National Institute of Rock Mechanics (NIRM)
Industrial Visit to BANGALORE METRO RAIL CORPORATION LIMITED (BMRCL)
|1||Prof. R.MURALIDAHARA||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.E(Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engg)||(Ph.D)||HOD||30||NIL||NIL|
|2||Prof. ANUPAMA||B.E., (Biotechnology)||M.Tech., (Environmental Engineering)||Assistant Professor||7||NIL||NIL|
|3||Prof. PRERNA AGARWAL||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech (Hydraulics & Water Resources)||Assistant Professor||7||NIL||NIL|
|4||Prof. DAMODARAN D.||B.Sc (GEOLOGY)||MSc (GEOLOGY)||(Ph.D)||Assistant Professor||6||NIL||NIL|
|5||Prof. SHIVAKUMAR N.V.||B.Sc (GEOLOGY)||MSc (GEOLOGY)||(Ph.D)||Assistant Professor||6||NIL||NIL|
|6||Prof. DAKSHAYANI T.R.||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech., (Environmental Engineering)||Assistant Professor||9||NIL||NIL|
|7||Prof. LAKSHMI V.||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.E., (Earthquake Engineering)||(Ph.D)||Assistant Professor||3.5||NIL||NIL|
|8||Prof. HARILEKSHMI S.||B.Tech., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech (Structural Engineering)||Assistant Professor||2.5||NIL||5|
|9||Prof. SUSHMA K S||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech., (Highway Technology)||Assistant Professor||3||NIL||NIL|
|10||Prof. THRUPTHI SHREE N K||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech (Structural Engineering)||Assistant Professor||2||NIL||1|
|11||Prof. RAGHAVENDRA S SANGANAIKAR||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.E (Highway Engineering)||Assistant Professor||2||NIL||NIL|
|12||Prof. APOORVA KIRAN||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech., (CAD Structures)||Assistant Professor||5||NIL||NIL|
|13||Prof. ARCHANA G.S.||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech., (Environmental Engineering)||Assistant Professor||1||NIL||NIL|
|14||Prof. NISHA M.||B.Tech., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech., (Construction Technology & Management)||Assistant Professor||3||NIL||2.5|
|15||Prof. SHREYANKA S.MURARI||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech., (Infrastructure Construction & Management))||Assistant Professor||3.5||NIL||NIL|
|16||Prof. SURABHI B.S.||B.E., (Civil Engineering)||M.Tech.,(CAD Structures)||Assistant Professor||4||NIL||NIL|
|17||Dr. MANU D.S.||B.E., (Environmental Engineering)||M.Tech., (Environmental Engineering)||Ph.D (Environmental Engineering)||Associate Professor||2.5||4.5||2|
- Students from Civil Engineering Department . participated in “Jnana – Vijnana – Tantrajnana Mela – 2018” held on 19th & 20th February 2018 at Sri Kshetra Adichunchanagiri and presented their project.
- All India Inter-University Tournament 2017-18
- MVJCE Kho-Kho Team won the Runners up in RVCE Momentum 2017-18 held during 17-19 Feb 2018
- A Cricket Player represents MVJCE at Club level playing at MA Chinnaswamy Stadium
- Mr. Vineeth of IV Year won third place in RANGREZ at SAARANG 2017 at IIT Madras
- Dinesh T(1MJ14CV025) won a Gold Medal in Men Javelin Throw
- N.Suman(1MJ13CV073) won Gold Medal in 90Kg Judo and Silver Medal in 91Kg Wrestling
- Dinesh T(1MJ14CV025) won a Gold Medal in Men Javelin Throw.
- N.Suman(1MJ13CV073) won Gold Medal in 90Kg Judo and Silver Medal in 91Kg Wrestling
The Department of Civil Engineering, MVJCE organized an Industrial...
93 students of the 2nd year, from the Department...
The Department of Civil Engineering organized a one-day Faculty...
The 50th Engineer’s Day celebration was organized by Department...