DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
Our department has a team of faculty members who are highly qualified and passionate towards teaching. Besides teaching our faculty members have been working on various research & consultancy proposals which are aimed at new technologies and societal needs. Department of Chemistry is one of the supporting departments for engineering branches of the college. The department has a chemistry R&D centre recognized by Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU). As a VTU recognized research centre, the department is capable of undertaking research projects and currently one research scholar pursuing PhD in the field of development of metal oxide nanoparticles and their biological applications.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
Our vision is to nurture the students for their profession and to impart technology and processes for converting their ideas into real life applications.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To develop the department into the best support department with the best staff and infrastructure.
- To provide the best services to the student and to produce 100% result in university examination.
- To promote research activity in the department in the area of chemical science with exploring the funding by National/International agencies.
The courses taught by the department include Engineering chemistry and Engineering Chemistry Lab for 1st and 2nd semester engineering students of all branches, technical chemistry for 3rd and 4th semester and elective subjects for higher semester chemical engineering students.
On completion of course, students will have knowledge in:
Sub code : 17CHE12/ 17CHE22
Subject : Engineering Chemistry
|C110.1||Electrochemical and concentration cells. Classical & modern batteries
and fuel cells.
|C110.2||Causes & effects of corrosion of metals and control of corrosion.
Modification of surface properties of metals to develop resistance to
corrosion, wear, tear, impact etc. by electroplating and electro less
|C110.3||Production & consumption of energy for industrialization of country and
living standards of people. Utilization of solar energy for different useful
forms of energy
|C110.4||Replacement of conventional materials by polymers for various
|C110.5||Boiler troubles; sewage treatment and desalination of sea water.|
|C110.6||Over viewing of synthesis, properties and applications of nanomaterials.|
Sub code : 17CHEL17/17CHEL27
Subject : Engineering Chemistry Lab
|C115.1||Handling of different types of instruments for analysis of materials using small quantities of materials involved for quick and accurate results.|
|C115.2||Carrying out different types of titrations for estimation of concerned in materials using comparatively more quantities of materials involved for good results.|
Research Papers published by Faculty in Journals
Dr. Indu Pandey
“Electrochemically Grown Potassium Ferrocyanide Doped Conducting Polymeric Rhodamine Nanodots Modified Graphite Based Fluorescence Supercapacitors,” IEEE-XPLORE, Second International Conference on Advances in Electronics, Computer and Communications(ICAECC-2018)978-1-5386-3785-2/18
“Metal Incorporated Polymeric Nanodots Based Electrode Material for Fluorescent Supercapacitors”, Journal of The Electrochemical Society,165,(8),March,2018, B3035-3042.
“Films of Reduced Graphene Oxide-Based MetalOxide Nanoparticles”, Nanoelectronics, materials and devices, 10, 7191 , pg978-981.
“Films and dispersions of reduced graphene oxide based Fe2O3 nanostructure composites: Synthesis, magnetic properties and electrochemical capacitance”, Material chemistry and physics, 209, Jan ,2018,Pg1-9.
“Enhanced electrocatalytic activity of reduced graphene oxide-Os nanoparticle hybrid films obtained at a liquid/liquid interface”, Journal of Nanoparticle Research,20:56, Feb 2018
“Molten Salt Synthesis of Nano Crystalline ZnFe2o4 and its Photocatalytic Dye degradation studies”. Materials Today Proceedings, 4-October2017, Pg 11816-819.
Mrs. Rashmi Rani
“Ultrafine nanocrystalline mesoporous NaY zeolite from flyash” in Journal of Porous material.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Department of Chemistry is actively involved in the research activities. The Department consists six Part-time Ph.D candidates:
- Preethi.G : area of research is Photocatalysts. She has published one research paper titled “Molten Solid Synthesis of Nano crystalline Zn- Fe2O4 and its Dye degradation studies”.
- Rashmi Rani Padhy : area of research is Synthesis and Characterization of multifunctional Zeolite from industrial and agrowaste. She has published one paper titled “Ultrafine nanocrystalline mesoporous NaY zeolite from flyash” in Journal of Porous material.
- Ramya K.B: area of research is Synthesis of Organic Catalysts. She has cleared the Course work and currently doing the literature survey.
- Swathi .K.N : area of research is Synthesis and Characterization of Thiazole and derivatives. . She has cleared the Course work and currently doing the literature survey.
- Swati Lal : area of research is Synthesis and Characterization of Nano- particles and its biological application.
- Manjula.M : area of research is study of interactions of Serum albumins with bioactive molecules.