MVJ College of Engineering has organized the Alumni Meet on 19.05.18 (Saturday) in Smt. RajalakshmiJayaramanSeminar Hall. The alumni meet is conducted every year in order to reconnect with the Alumni and celebrate their success and various achievements. A special welcome was extended to the Silver Jubilee batch of 89-93 and the Pearl Jubilee batch of 83-88.
The Alumni started arriving in college by 9.00 a.m. and they were received by the registration team and were taken on a campus tour where they revisited the familiar place where they had studied and were shown the various developments that had taken place since then.
The Alumni Meet started with an invocation song seeking the blessings of almighty by TharunRavikumar, 3rd Year, CSE. The hosts of the event, Suyash Mohan and Archana, 3rd year CSE invited the dignitaries to occupy the dais. To start the occasion on an auspicious note, the chief guest Mr. AshishAgarwal, CEO Neudesic Technologies Pvt. Ltd Bangalore proceeded to the dais for the lighting of the lamp, accompanied by Principal, Dr. N. Gunasekaranand Vice Principal, Prof. M.Brindha.
Our Principal Dr. N Gunasekaran, welcomed all the dignitaries and all the alumni for responding to the invitation from college and being present for the alumni meet in spite of their busy schedule. He then proceeded with presenting the college report highlighting the various milestones reached in the past year. Some notable points were:
- He told about all the departments in college and the total strength of the students. He mentioned 75 scholars who are actively pursuing a doctoral degree.
- AICTE has granted approval for B.E. Aerospace Engineering with an intake of 60 students from the academic year 2018-2019.
- He congratulated the 17 students who are VTU rank holders out of which 3 are Gold medalists.
- He spoke about the technical fest VertechX 8.0 and cultural fest, Swayam which are conducted every here and the outcomes of it.
- He informed about the 20 lakhs funding the college has received for the purpose of establishing Centre of Excellence in Robotics and Automation. He also spoke about 2 funded projects worth 9.95 lakhs sponsored by ARDB Company to the Department of Aeronautical Engineering.
The college report was followed by a report of the MVJCE Alumni Association by Ms. Preethi Sheba Hepsiba, Asst. Prof., Department of CSE and Alumni Coordinator, MVJCE. She started the presentation by displaying the photos of last year’s Alumni Meet. She also shared the aims and objectives of the Alumni Association. She told that 15000 graduates in alumni association and still a lot more to register with the help of social media. She shared in her presentation, the various Alumni visits and interactions they have had in college over the past year.
- RajniEktaSoharu, Registrar, University of New Orleans, who had come for discussions regarding higher studies at UNO and also an interactive session with students.
- Kumara Murali, specialist at Salesforce.com who responded to the report on Industry Academia Meet and had come to college for a discussion regarding training on Salesforce platform.
- Chandrakanth K A, Director of Consulting, Neudesic, who had come to college for campus placements.
- Naveen kaushik, Data Scientist, Sears who was invited as a judge for Technical event,
- DilipJ.Kumar, Senior Analyst, Dell EMC who shared his experiences on placement process and adjusting to the corporate world.
The time had come to hear from the chief guest.Prof. M Brindhaintroduced our chief guest, Mr. AsishAgarwal, CEO Neudesic who is also an Alumni of MVJCE of the 97-2001 batch, CSE. The chief guest addressed the gathering by firstly thanking the management for inviting him. He expressed his happiness in meeting in person, his batch mates on the occasion all of whom are well connected via whatsapp and social media. He was very happy to note that the cultural fest, “Swayam” which was first started during his time at MVJCE still continues. He has a great bond with MVJCE as many of his colleagues at Neudesicare also from MVJCE.
A multimedia presentation, “Trip down memory lane…” followed which chronicled the journey of the alumni of MVJCE from 1982 to the present. It was put together by Prasath P., 3rd Year EEE. Vintage photos were submitted by some of the Alumni and were collected from old newsletters in college.
The Alumni were treated to an enticing classical violin recital by TharunRavikumar. The Music Club of MVJCE lead by MayankKhare, final year, CSE sang a medley of songs which celebrated friendship. It was a special moment when Mr. Krishnan from batch 1987 sang a beautiful song.
he had come to the most awaited segment of the Alumni Meet and the Distinguished Alumni Award was announced by Ms. IshwariGinimav, Asst. Prof., Dept. of CSE. The awards are an initiative taken by the management of MVJCE to recognize and celebrate the achievements the alumni of MVJCE who have brought honor to MVJCE and the alma mater. Nominations were called and a committee was convened to decide the most deserving alumni for the Awards.
The Distinguished Alumni Award 2018 (Technology) was presented to Mr. Sunil Varkey, 86-90 batch, Electronics for his technological proficiency in enhancing and moving the world forward. He received the award from Dr. N. Gunasekaran, Principal, MVJCE. Mr. Sunil Varkey is currently the VP & Chief Information Security Officer, Wipro Ltd, Bangalore
- Has over 23 years of Information Security leadership experience specialized in Information Assurance with large corporate in Banking, Telecom, ITES and Manufacturing in Middle East, US & India.
- Achievements & Accomplishments
- filed 3 patents in Integrated Risk Management, Cognitive Security grid for enterprise systems, classification of URL based on content.
- Over 10 global certifications in the field of Information security and assurance, including honorary recognition
- Honorary DCPP (Privacy) Certification from Data Security Council of India and a brand ambassador of this program
- Presented 50+ sessions in over 8 countries including RSAs, CloudSec, Cocon and other key events on various Information Assurance domain
- Published over 20 articles in various print and online medium.
- Given sessions in various academic sessions including at NLSUI, Symbiosis and at various security academies
- 2017 Fellow, Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (DMTS)
- Security Leader of the Year – 2016 by Nasscom – Data Security Council of India
- Currently VP & Chief Information Security Officer, IRMC, Fellow, Wipro – Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
- held several prominent position in the companies Idea Cellular, Barclays, GE, Paramount Computer Systems, HSBC.
- highly influential in social Media : over 20,000 followers.
The Distinguished Alumni Award 2018(Entrepreneurship) was awarded to Mr. Amitesh Rahul, 87-91, Electronics, Director, Adsat Engineers Pvt. Ltd, Delhi for his flourishing Entrepreneurial venture.
- Successfully running a company, Adsat Engineers (P) Limited since 2005
- Authorized Service Centre for Indian region for US Multinational M/s Communications & Power Industries USA [CPI, www.cpii.com] – a world class manufacturer for Microwave High Power Amplifiers using TWT/KLYSTRONs, Solid State Power Amplifiers.
- The only service centre that serves the industry on 24×7 basis and covers the Indian region [India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan etc].
- Adsat is one of the 5 GRCs [Global Repair Centre] for CPI/Codan’s SSPA range of products.
- The company takes care of the full Earth Station’s maintenance e.g. LokSabha TV, Utakrsh Society Panchkula etc.
- Adsat is involved in ground segment installation and maintenance of prestigious projects of national interests like – Chandrayan [Moon Mission], Mangalyan [Mars Mission], Indian Navigational System – GAGAN & IRNSS headed by ISRO.
- Achievements and accomplishments
- Prasar Bharti [AIR &Doordarshan] have listed as a faculty for their National Academy of Broadcast Management – NABM, [formerly Staff Training Institute (STIT)] for the various courses in RF and Broadcast.
- Involved in the design and development of GaN SSPA technologies for use in space, defense; and medical research.
- conducted training courses for CPI Products/HPAs for Doordarshan’s training centres at Shillong, Jaipur, Bhopal, New Delhi, Saudi Telecom Corporation engineers at Jeddah (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), ECIL’s Hyderabad, NIC – Delhi, ISRO.
- Conducted the training for the Companies like Hughes Comm. (I) Ltd, NDTV, TV Today, ETV Hyderabad, Airtel, Videocon D2H, Dialog TV Colombo, NTV Dhaka etc.
Both the awardees received an honorarium, a certificate and a plaque. Both the awardees thanked the college for bestowing upon them this honor and shared some of their experiences and their journey thus far.
After the DAA awards, a sharing session with the Alumni ensued and participants of the meet representing each batch were called for an interactive sharing session hosted by guest host, Mr. Dilip J., Kumar, 11-15 batch, ISE, was called upon the stage by the host to share their experience as MVJCE’ians. Those who were invited to the daiswere:
- K.Raghavan, 86-90, CIVIL, Proprietor, RAM Associates, Coimbatore who had come for the meet with 5 of his batchmates.
- K. Nandakumar, 91-95, MECH, Division Manager, 3M India Ltd, Bangalore.
- Leni Davidson, 91-95, Deputy General Manager, SKF India Ltd., Bangalore.
- GovindSanthanam,, 91-85, MECH, Head Sales, Digital, Wipro.
- K A. Chandrakanth, 96-2000, CSE, Director Consulting, Neudesic, Bangalore.
- Kumara Murali, 2001-2005, CSE, Technical Instructor and Consultant, Salesforce.com, UB City, Bangalore.
- George Nijo Antony, 97-2001 MECH, Commander, Indian Navy New Delhi.
They were joined by the awardees of the Distinguished Alumni Awards. It was arranged like a round table conference where they were asked questions regarding their career choice and what do they, and how they are today. This led to the Alumni sharing their experiences in and after their college life.
The Alumni meet was drawing to the close and this year, the Alumni of MVJCE were given memorabilia (a picture frame and calendar, “Proud to be MVJCE’ian” sticker”) which was an initiative by management of MVJCE. Mr. AshishAgarwal, chief guest graciously agreed to giving away the gifts and the photo session was arranged first with the batch of ’86 to ’93 including both the Silver and Pearl Jubilee batch of MVJCE. Next the vibrant Alumni of the batch between ’94 and ’10 were felicitated. The budding engineers of tomorrow (the batches of ’11 to ’16) were invited for a photo session and were given memorabilia also.
The Dance club of MVJCE lead by Naren, 3rd year, CSE put up a scintillating performance which depicted the journey of an engineer during his 4 years in college. It was well received by the Alumni and garnered a huge applause from the audience. The Alumni Meet drew to a close and a memento was presented as a token of our appreciation to the chief guest, Mr. AshishAgarwal, CEO, Neudesic by Director, Placement and Corporate Affairs.
Ms. DeepaAcharya, Asst. Prof., Department of CSE proposed the vote of thanks. She thanked the Alumni for taking the time to come for the Alumni Meet who have made it a very special and memorable one. She thanked the various organizers of the event (teaching, non-teaching staff and the enthusiastic student volunteers) whose hard work and dedication made the event possible. She also thanked the management of MVJCE for the support and guidance which has made Alumni Meet 2018 a grand success.
Mr. Niranjan K., Asst. Professor, MBA
Ms. Preethi Sheba Hepsiba, Asst. Professor, CSE & Alumni Coordinator, MVJCE